This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
I love the holiday season! One of my favorite childhood memories is making Christmas cookies. I remember always making the dough from scratch, rolling out the dough and having fun picking out which cookie cutters to use. My mission this year was to make some cut-out coconut flour cookies for Christmas that I could use cookie cutters with.
Rolling the Dough for Cut-Out Coconut Flour Cookies Recipe
At first it was hard to make a coconut flour cookies recipe for dough that I could easily roll out with a rolling pin and one that tasted good, like real Christmas cookies! I initially made this recipe for coconut flour cookies with raw honey as a sweetener, but the cookies tasted kind of plain, so the next time I added in a mashed banana. As a result, I think this addition made the recipe perfect! It gives the cookies a little extra flavor and makes them extra tasty!
You will love how amazing these coconut flour cookies taste and how great they look! The recipe was simple to make and the dough was easy to roll and use the cookie cutters with. Coconut flour recipes tend to come out on the drier side and I was afraid these cookies would end up too delicate or crumble easily, but they don’t at all.
I experimented with baking one cookie with a top coating of organic olive oil and one without. The light top coating of oil really helped the cookie stay together and prevent dryness. So, make sure you don’t skip this step. They are delicious and look fantastic! I can’t wait to bring them to my family get-together in a few days. They are also such fun to decorate!
Decorating with Healthy Paleo Frosting
I typically decorate these cut-out coconut flour cookies with coconut butter. It makes perfect ‘white’ frosting. If you want to use different colored frosting for the cookies, you can use healthy foods to make just about any color! For the cookies in the picture above, I used spinach and spirulina to make the green frosting and beets to make the red frosting.
Cut-Out Coconut Flour Cookies Recipe
- Combine all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir well.
- Prepare an area to roll out the dough. I put down a sheet of parchment paper and sprinkled some coconut flour on top, so the dough won’t stick to it.
- Place the dough on the parchment paper and roll it out until it is about 1/4 inch thick. As you roll the dough, you may need to sprinkle a little more coconut flour on top of the dough so it does not get stuck to the rolling pin.
- Use your cookie cutters to cut the dough into desired shapes.
- Carefully put your cut out shapes on a baking sheet. (I covered my baking sheet with parchment paper)
- Before you put the coconut flour cookies in the oven, lightly coat the top of each cookie with oil (coconut oil or olive oil). This really helped the dough to stick together and prevented the cookies from breaking easily.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 14 minutes, depending on how thick they are. Watch them carefully and remove them when the edges begin to lightly brown.
How to Decorate Coconut Flour Cookies:
Click here to see my recipes for the healthiest frosting ever! Seriously! You can make it in all different colors.
Enjoy! Happy Holidays!