This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Are techniques to naturally whiten teeth effective?
Today I am listing the top 7 ways to naturally whiten teeth and they really work. The best part is you don’t have to worry about them damaging your teeth or your health!
Why You Should Naturally Whiten Teeth
Although there are many options to whiten teeth, all of the kits you can purchase over the counter are loaded with harmful chemicals. The chemical tooth whiteners typically contain coal tars, aspartame, aluminum, floride and benzene. The over the counter bleaches also have a very high acidity and are very abrasive which can cause damage to teeth, tooth pain and/or sensitivity, and damage the enamel. Not only are these chemicals harmful to your teeth and gums, the toxic chemicals often leak from the trays or strips and are swallowed or absorbed. As a result of the dangerous side effects and hazards with over the counter whitening, many are now opting to choose methods to naturally whiten teeth.
The great news is that all of these ways to naturally whiten teeth include using all eatable foods! So you don’t have to worry about ingesting harmful chemicals.
I have used all of these methods to naturally whiten teeth at one time or another and have found that since most of these are included in my diet or what I use for oral hygiene, my teeth have remained pretty white and I haven’t had to spend extra trying to whiten them. These ways to naturally whiten teeth can be used daily or weekly to keep your teeth nice and white.
7 Ways to Naturally Whiten Teeth
1.Apples: Apples have natural astringents that can help whiten teeth. Apples also contain malic acid which helps dissolve stains. To use it just slice an apple and rub the pieces on your teeth for a couple of minutes.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV): ACV can remove stains on the surface of teeth. To use it, use a soft brush and brush teeth with it. Rinse afterwards. ACV has been shown to be a very effective way of naturally whitening teeth, however, it may take a couple of weeks of consistent use to see results.
3. Strawberries: Strawberries also contain malic acid and can help remove stains and discolorations on teeth. You can crush the strawberries and brush teeth with them or add a pinch of baking soda and mix with strawberries. The mixture can be left on the teeth for up to 5 minutes.
4. Baking Soda: Baking soda is widely known for its uses for household cleaning and whitening. Baking soda is among the easiest and most efficient ways to naturally whiten teeth. Baking soda is slightly abrasive and helps remove stains on teeth. Simply just brush teeth with baking soda mixed with a little water to create a paste. Or you can use a mixture of baking soda and coconut oil. This is also a great homemade toothpaste. I use baking soda and coconut oil to brush my teeth every day.
5. Lemon or Orange Peels: Lemon and orange peels acid content can eliminate stains on the surface of teeth. However, this method of naturally whitening teeth should not be used daily as the acid content may eventually wear down the enamel. Lemon juice can also be combined with baking soda to naturally whiten teeth.
6. Oil Pulling: Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic technique which has been used to benefit oral health, prevent and treat cavities, reduce plaque, improve gums and even whiten teeth. Oil pulling is when you swish a spoonful of quality oil in your mouth for up to 15 minutes. Then rinse your mouth. Sesame oil or coconut oil can be used, just to name a few.
7. Drink with a Straw: This last method of naturally whitening teeth is more of preventative measure. Drinking through a straw can help you avoid many stains as teeth with have less contact with damaging drinks or substances. This can be very useful especially if you drink tea and/or coffee which can increases surface stains on teeth. You can find many options for glass and stainless steel straws online.
Photo source: 1