This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
This homemade natural mouthwash will help fight cavities and leave you with fresh breath! It’s easy to make and much healthier than using a chemical based mouthwash.
One product that I don’t like to see sitting on my family’s bathroom shelf is the big bottle of green colored mouthwash. Yuck! Many think these mouthwashes are beneficial to fight cavities, but they actually cause more harm!
Luckily, you can easily make your own homemade natural mouthwash simply with a few ingredients that are truly good for your teeth! This homemade mouthwash fights bacteria and leaves your breath minty fresh without all the toxins! Plus, this recipe is really inexpensive to make!
I made one for my family to use and tossed their toxic one. But, I don’t think they’re going to be upset with me, because I’m sure they will love it and will keep using it!
What’s harmful about store bought mouthwash
When I was researching about how harmful many mouthwashes are, I found one site that said that if your dentist recommends using mouthwash, you need to ask him if he even knows what’s in that stuff! Good point!
Most popular mouthwash brands you find at the store contain several toxic ingredients including thymol, hexetidine, and methyl salicylate. There’s also other ingredients that are of concern including synthetic colors and sugars such as green number 3 and sucralose. Due to these harmful ingredients, most mouthwashes are listed as a moderate to high hazard and unfortunately, the chemicals are easily absorbed by your body.
Benefits of Using this Homemade Natural Mouthwash
1. Freshens Breath – One of the main reasons I like to use this homemade natural mouthwash is because it leaves my breath minty fresh! If I don’t have time to brush my teeth or even just want that nice clean feeling after I brush, this is a great option. All you do is take a teaspoon of this recipe, swish it in your mouth and you’re set to go! It’s easy, if you have no time and much better than grabbing one of those breath freshening mints with all those questionable ingredients.
I used peppermint in this recipe to give the minty fresh affect, but if you don’t like mint taste, you can replace it with your favorite kind of essential oil.
2. Improves Oral Health – The ingredients in this homemade natural mouthwash help fight bacteria and improve your gum health. The antibacterial and antimicrobial properties of coconut oil and peppermint essential oil help to get rid of the bad bacteria. I added a little salt to this homemade natural mouthwash recipe to increase the benefits even more because, just like when you do a salt water mouth rinse, the salt helps eliminate bacteria and also promotes healing of the gums.
3. Prevents Cavities – In addition to leaving your breath minty fresh, this homemade natural mouthwash is also great because it helps prevent cavities! I added coconut oil to this recipe to boost the antibacterial, antiviral, and antimicrobial properties. Peppermint essential oil is great in this recipe because it not only eliminates bad breath, but it helps fight off bad germs and decreases dental plaque. It has great antiseptic and ant-inflammatory properties, which is why it is often added to toothpaste recipes and mouthwashes.
How to Make the Homemade Natural Mouthwash
What you need:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 drops peppermint essential oil (or another oil such as cinnamon, clove, or wintergreen)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional: add a drop or 2 of another essential oil, such as spearmint or tea tree oil
- Optional: pinch of baking soda
*Some like to add baking soda to their mouthwash, but I haven’t tried this yet.
1. Combine all ingredients in a container. I use a small mason jar to store mine.
2. Stir or shake well before each use to mix all the ingredients
3. Swish 1 to 2 teaspoons around in your mouth for about a minute, then spit out and rinse with water.
Your breath will be minty fresh!