This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
You probably know about the many (awesome) health benefits of coconut oil, but you may forget about all of the ways you can use it, because the list is practically endless! This is why I have comprised a handy organized list of the uses for coconut oil that you can put up in your bathroom or on your refrigerator for a great quick reference.
Why the Uses for Coconut Oil are so Versatile
I love coconut oil because it’s fantastic for your body inside and out! There are so many uses for coconut oil, I use it for just about everything! It is healthy to eat it, cook with it, brush your teeth with it, and put it on your skin. It’s great because of its antimicrobial, antifungal and antiviral properties as it contains 50% lauric acid, a medium-chain fatty acid (MCT). These MCTs are more healthful than Long-Chain triglycerides (from vegetable or seed oils) because they are smaller, easily digested and quickly burned for energy. People that live in the tropics have benefited from the healthful properties of coconut oil for many years and studies have shown that these populations have had less heart disease, improved longevity and much better overall health.
What Kind of Coconut Oil to Buy?
There are quite a few options for choosing coconut oil; however, it is best to get raw organic coconut oil as it is pure, not processed, and doesn’t contain harmful pesticides. There is also the option of choosing refined or unrefined. I prefer unrefined because it is unprocessed and more abundant in proteins, vitamins and antioxidants. This is the coconut oil that I use.
Make sure you buy a large jar because there are so many uses for coconut oil! It can also help save money by buying in bulk.
Uses for Coconut Oil List:
Beauty and Skin
- Eye-makeup remover
- Eyes-Reduces puffiness, bags and wrinkles
- Strengthens eyelashes
- Daily moisturizer for face and body –This is one of my favorite uses for coconut oil, I apply it to my face every morning as a facial moisturizer.
- Smooth wrinkles
- Shrink pores
- Reduces dry skin-add a few tablespoons to your bath
- Makes a great massage oil
- Dry Lips-dab on a few times a day
- Moisturizes and soothes inside nostrils, beneficial especially if you have allergies, colds or are prone to bloody noses.
- Fades age spots
- Sunscreen –coconut oil has an SPF of about 8. Read more.
- Relieves sunburn-soothes and moisturizes skin
- Acne-apply to skin 1 to 2x a day, the antibacterial properties prevent and reduce breakouts. Read more.
- Athletes foot, fungal infections– optional -mix with an essential oil
- Cold sores – dab on at the first sign and put on 3x day.
- Conditioner, helps with dry ends
- Reduces static
- Treat lice-cover hair and scalp with coconut oil, leave on several hours
- Dandruff-Rub into scalp and leave on for at least 30 minutes then shampoo out. I use this and it works great, but it has to be repeated at least once a week.
Mouth & Teeth
- Toothpaste-cavity prevention, add baking soda. See it here.
- Oil pulling-Daily swish in mouth 10 min, then spit out. Bonus – helps with sore gums!
Other Body Parts
- Dry feet and elbows
- Massage Oil
- Warts-Put on at least twice a day for six weeks
- Deodorant-Apply to underarms ,optional-add an essential oil and baking soda. See it here.
- Shaving-Use in place of shaving cream
- Yeast infections, internal and external
- Prevents ingrown nails-massage into skin and on nail daily
- Strengthen nails
- Stretch mark prevention
- Stir Fry-Perfect at medium heat
- Use instead of vegetable oils in recipes such as; muffins, bread,etc.
- Grease cooking sheets, baking pans
- Energy booster-take a teaspoon daily
- Metabolism booster-1-2 tablespoons a day
- Improve immune system-1-2 tablespoons a day
- Stabilizes blood sugar levels, reduces cravings in diabetics.
- Treat candida, yeast, fungus
- Digestion-aids in digesting meals, improves irritable bowel syndrome.
- Increases absorption of vitamins and nutrients-The fat helps in absorption.
- Weight loss-Studies have shown it reduces abdominal fat.
- Thyroid – Improves function of thyroid gland, especially beneficial for hypothyroidism. This is one of my mom’s favorite uses for coconut oil, she takes it daily for hypothyroidism.
- Arthritis, internally and externally-aides in healing and reducing inflammation
- Prevent and treat Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and dementia (Recent research shows good results)
- Eczema and Psoriasis, internally and externally
- ADHD and Autism-some note improvements
- Reduced risk of heart disease
- Some have noted reductions in seizures in epileptic children
- Bladder infections
Children and Babies
- Cradle cap – Massage into scalp, leave on for a few minutes, wipe off with warm cloth
- Diaper rash – apply to baby’s bottom
- Nipple cream for nursing mothers
Dogs and Cats
- Shiny coat/Hairballs – moisten cat’s paw
- Dog breath-you can brush the dog’s teeth with it
- Wipe down shower with coconut oil on damp cloth, to finish spray with white vinegar.
- Remove sticky labels, loosen chewing gum
- Polish furniture
- Cast iron pans-Great for seasoning
What’s one of your favorite uses for coconut oil?