This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Thanksgiving is just a few weeks away and this year I set out on a mission to make a paleo stuffing recipe for the holiday. It has been several years since I enjoyed stuffing on Thanksgiving. My family always makes stuffing for the holiday, but it isn’t gluten free or paleo. So this year, I’m making some paleo stuffing to bring to the meal.
Stuffing is always my favorite food to eat on Thanksgiving, and it always has been since I was a little kid. It’s not usually the healthiest thing to eat, but it tastes so good. This paleo stuffing recipe is a much healthier version than the boxed stuffing mixes you find at the store.
I’m always making fresh paleo bread for sandwiches so I thought that I should be able to use my favorite paleo bread to create a stuffing recipe. Stuffing is just made from dried bread cubes with vegetables and spices, so why shouldn’t it work?. I was happy to discover that my paleo stuffing recipe for Thanksgiving turned out delicious.
Using any Kind of Paleo Bread for this Paleo Stuffing Recipe
For this stuffing recipe, you’ll need 2 and 1/2 cups of bread cubes. You can use any kind of paleo bread for the bread cubes..so if you have a recipe you already like for the bread, you can use it! There are a few companies that also sell paleo bread you can buy online too. I haven’t tried it before, but you could try using it if you prefer not to make bread for this recipe.
I have tried making paleo stuffing from my paleo loaf bread recipe and my almond flour bread recipe. They both turned out great! I usually use my paleo loaf bread to make the stuffing though because it is made with only coconut flour. I just prefer the taste of coconut flour bread compared to almond flour bread.
How to Make Paleo Stuffing:
Making stuffing isn’t too complicated, luckily. I first sliced my loaf of plaeo bread in to small cubes.
Then,to make this paleo stuffing, I followed directions I found online for how to make dried bread crumbs. Most of the recipes recommended coating the bread cubes with olive oil or butter then heating them on a low temperature until the bread cubes are lightly toasted. This worked out great with my paleo bread.
Next, I just followed a conventional recipe for making stuffing with butter or oil, vegetables and spices.
I’m so glad that I was able to prefect the recipe before the holiday so I can bring it to our get-together and see what everyone else thinks of the paleo stuffing.
Stove Top or Stuffing Turkey/Chicken
I typically make this paleo stuffing on the stove as it is very quick and easy to make. You can also use this recipe to create a paleo stuffing to stuff a chicken or turkey. I’ve used the same method below for stuffing a turkey.
Paleo Stuffing Recipe for Thanksgiving
To Make the Paleo Bread Cubes
- Take a loaf of paleo bread and slice it into small cubes. I use my paleo loaf bread recipe, but any kind of paleo bread will work – just make sure that after you slice it, you get 2 and 1/2 cups of bread cubes.
- Put the bread cubes on a baking sheet, drizzle them with olive oil and bake them in the oven at 250 degrees for about 30 minutes to 1 hour or until the bread cubes are lightly toasted.
To Make the Paleo Stuffing
- In a sauce pan or pot combine butter (or butter substitute), vegetable stock, thyme leaves, ground sage, pepper, and sea salt. Heat to a low boil for about 5 minutes then remove from heat.
- Dice the onion, celery stalks and carrot and mix in a large pot with bread cubes
- Slowly pour the heated mixture from the sauce pan into the pot with stuffing and stir.
- Cover the pot of stuffing and let it sit for 15 minutes before serving.