This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
I love eating crunchy healthy homemade potato chips with lunch and dipping them into avocado. I started making my own potato chips because it’s hard to find healthy potato chips at the store. I love this brand of potato chips made with coconut oil and no harmful ingredients; however, my local health food store doesn’t carry it. That’s why I wanted try out making my own.
Most potato chips are cooked in unhealthy oils, contain GMO’s, pesticides, preservatives and additives. The EWG reported that potatoes have been found to contain the most amount of pesticides by weight compared to any other food. So, this is one of the most important foods to make sure you get organic!
I tried making homemade baked sweet potato chips a few years ago and they didn’t turn out well so I didn’t think it would be possible to get a good recipe for healthy homemade potato chips. But, you can make healthy potato chips at home and make them turn out delicious! These chips taste similar to lays potato chips! Even though they’re made with coconut oil, you can’t really taste the coconut oil at all.
You will enjoy these healthy chips and the great fresh taste!
About this Healthy Homemade Potato Chips Recipe:
For this recipe, all you need is 3 ingredients, just organic potatoes, coconut oil, and sea salt. That’s pretty much as healthy as you can get for making potato chips!
These healthy homemade potato chips are organic, non-gmo, cooked in healthy oil at a medium temperature and contain no preservatives or chemicals.
What if You Don’t Want to Make Your Own Potato Chips?
If you’re looking for a healthier option for potato chips, but don’t want to make them yourself, these coconut oil potato chips are a great option. They are organic, non-GMO, and cooked in coconut oil.
Healthy Homemade Potato Chips Recipe:
Directions: (pictures below)
1. Cut potatoes in to thin slices. Try to make them all about the same width.
2. Soak the slices in a pot of cold water for about 30 minutes to 1 hour. You can skip this step; however, it does make them more crispy.
3. Add the coconut oil to a pot and put it on medium heat.
4. Once the oil is melted in the pot, add about 4 to 5 potatoes slices to the pot. If they sizzle when you add them, then you know the oil is at a good temp.
5. Let them cook in the oil for about 3 minutes, until they lightly brown.
6. Remove the slices and place them on a wire cooling rack. *Pat the chips gently to remove excess oil.
7. Repeat until you’ve done this with all the slices.
8. After they’re cooled, sprinkle sea salt on them. As they cool they will become crispier.
Enjoy the chips! I love to dip them in fresh, mashed avocado!
Step 1. Potato pieces cut
Step 5. Potato slices cooking in coconut oil