This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Improve Your Health with the Benefits of Lemon Water
If there is one thing that I can’t go a day without, it’s a glass of lemon water in the morning.
Drinking a glass of lemon water every morning is a simple and effective way to improve your health in many ways.
This citrus fruit contains a high amount of vitamin C to boost your immune system and prevent colds and the flu. Lemons are also a great source of calcium, magnesium, and potassium. These minerals provide your body with essential electrolytes for optimal health.
How and When to Drink it
To get all of the benefits of lemon water, it is best to use a glass of lukewarm water. After you have your glass of water, slice an organic lemon in half and squeeze both halves over the cup of water. You can also do this with a lime to get similar benefits. Every part of lemon is beneficial for health, so don’t be afraid to eat pieces of the membranous portions of the lemon and the peel! The peel contains 5 to 10 times more vitamin C than the juice. I usually scrap small pieces of the membranous portion of lemon into my cup of lemon water.
You should drink lemon water first thing in the morning upon waking and wait at least 15 to 30 minutes before having breakfast in order to get the most benefits of lemon water.
10 Health Benefits of Lemon Water:
1. Boosts Your Immune System– Lemons are a great source of vitamin C, citrus bioflavonoids, and phytonutrients, all of which aid in increasing your immune system.
2. Prevents Cancer – Lemons are a highly alkaline food, studies have shown that cancer thrives in an acidic body and cannot survive in an alkaline environment.
3. Increased Energy– The vitamins and nutrients in lemons help to increase your energy, particularly the high amount of vitamin C. Many note to feel energized and hydrated after drinking lemon water upon waking.
4. Improved Digestion– Lemon water stimulates the gastrointestinal tract which is why it is most beneficial to drink first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
5. Balances pH – Drinking a glass of lemon water helps to alkalize your body. Many diseases and conditions have been linked to an acidic body state. For optimal health it is important for your body to maintain a slightly alkaline state which can be achieved by eating alkaline foods.
6. Lower Blood Pressure – Drinking a glass of lemon or lime water can help lower blood pressure
7. Improved Liver Function – Lemon water aids in stimulating and purifying your liver. It also helps inhibit the excess flow of bile and increases liver enzymes.
8. Reduces Oxidative Stress – The vitamins and minerals in lemon water aid in reducing oxidative stress. Lemons contain antioxidants, bioflavonoids, and phytonutrients.
9. Detoxification– Lemon water benefits cleansing your body by reducing toxins in the blood. The nutrients in lemons also promote the removal of waste materials and toxins as it acts as a natural diuretic.
10. Regulates Bowel Movements – Lemon water helps the bowels to better eliminate waste and reduce constipation.
With all of these benefits of lemon water, be sure to switch out your morning coffee for a glass of warm lemon water!
Do you drink lemon water?