This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Cinnamon rolls are one of my favorite treats and have been since I was young. I used to get them all the time at Dunkin Donuts and loved them heated up. Ever since I became gluten free over 10 years ago, I haven’t been able to enjoy cinnamon rolls. I began experimenting for a paleo cinnamon rolls recipe that would fit this delicious pastry into my healthy lifestyle. I wanted to make a healthier version of cinnamon rolls that would still have the warm, soft, and gooey texture I craved.
I don’t follow the paleo diet exclusively. I just try to include many paleo friendly foods into my diet for the health benefits. I especially try to make any breads, cupcakes, brownies, and treats paleo because they are a much healthier version! They’re easier to digest, have healthier real food based ingredients, and don’t spike my insulin as much as typical high sugar desserts and breads.
How This Recipe Turned Out:
It took me several tries tweaking the recipe before I got it how I wanted it. It was difficult to find the right balance of ingredients in order to make my paleo cinnamon rolls taste as rich and satisfying as the cinnamon rolls I remembered. The hardest part was getting the dough to the right consistency so that it would roll up into the proper round roll.
I’ve never made regular cinnamon buns at home, but it really surprised me how easy it was. The hardest part was rolling the dough into the right shape. It was easy once I got the hang of it. I’m glad these came out so good! Not only do they look good, but they taste great!
How These Paleo Cinnamon Rolls Taste:
These paleo cinnamon rolls are soo good when you eat them hot from the oven. I love them when they’re warm and gooey fresh from the oven. They’re a healthy treat to indulge on.
The frosting is so delicious on top of them too! Plus, it’s super healthy so I don’t feel guilty for eating it. It’s just a simple mixture of coconut oil and coconut butter. Coconut butter tastes just like frosting! I mixed it with coconut oil to make it a little more liquidy, that way I could just drizzle it over the top. You could also just put plain coconut butter on top without the coconut oil.
How Long do They Last / How to Store Them:
I like to eat the paleo cinnamon rolls fresh from the oven. They are most delicious that way!
You can leave them out for a couple of days on your kitchen counter. After that I would refrigerate or freeze them to preserve them. Then just reheat them in the oven or microwave to bring them back to life!
Paleo Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
- 1 and 3/4 cups ground almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 large eggs (make sure they’re room temperature)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Filling for the Rolls:
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
1. First, to make the dough, combine all the ingredients listed under ‘dough’ in a large bowl and stir well with a spoon. Make sure the eggs are room temperature. Otherwise they will cause the coconut oil to harden up and form chunks (coconut is liquid at room temperature and hardens in colder temperatures).
2. Use your hands to knead the dough. It may stick to your hands a little bit, that’s OK. If the dough feels too wet, you can and a teaspoon of coconut flour.
3. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
4. While you’re waiting for the dough in the fridge, in a separate bowl, mix the ingredients for the filling and set it aside.
5. Take the dough out of the fridge and put down some unbleached parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough. I roll it until it’s about 1/4 inch thick.
6. Apply the filling mixture to the dough. I use a baking brush, but the back of a spoon would work too. Try to spread it evenly over the dough.
7. Now the hardest part, roll the dough. I go super slowly, making sure each section is fully folded over. You want to roll it in to a log shape.
8. When the dough is all rolled up, use a large knife to cut 1 and 1/2 to 2 inch sections. This will make 10 rolls.
9. Place each roll on baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
10. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Keep checking on them to see when they’re done.
To Add Frosting Glaze:
1. Mix the two ingredients for the frosting glaze (coconut butter and coconut oil).
2. Heat the mixture in your oven or microwave just to warm it up. That way it will easily drizzle.
3. Drizzle on top of the paleo cinnamon rolls
Hope you enjoy these paleo cinnamon rolls! Cinnamon rolls are a little time consuming to make, but so worth it! Very delicious!